So you’re looking to plan a wedding in a year? Maybe you’re just engaged and ready to get this show on the road??
Here’s my breakdown of some tasks to get done roughly a year out from your wedding!
Have fun announcing your engagement!!
- Seriously – this is a big one! Take some time to enjoy the fact you two are FIANCES!
Choose a date!
- This will affect a lot of vendor options. Figure out whether you’re able to be flexible or if you’re set on a specific date!!
Talk budget & decide who is contributing what!
- Budget is the backbone of your wedding. Without it you can’t properly plan the rest of your wedding.
Discover your wedding style!!
- Are you more rustic? Boho maybe? Modern Princess vibes? Whatever style speaks to you, you will want to nail it down to ensure you can plan your wedding to be the most authentic to you!
Get your ring insured! And if covid has taught us anything, consider purchasing wedding insurance!
- Didn’t even think of that huh? First thing you should do is insure the ring.. it just gives everyone a bit more peace of mind
Once your date is selected:
Choose your wedding party!
- These are the people that will be standing by your side while you say I do! These should be the friends and family members that matter the most to not just you, but your relationship!
Create a wedding website
- There are great and free resources for this like Zola or the Knot!
Start your guest list
- I always suggest breaking it down into 3 categories…
- A list – The people you can’t get married without.
- B list – Close friends and family that you want there but if life happens and they can’t make it you’d be okay.
- C list – The group you would love to have there but if perhaps budget cuts need to be made these people would be taken off the list.
Look into venue options
Assemble your team of pros – schedules are booking up QUICK!!
- Make sure to reach out and book your favorite vendors as soon as you can to ensure they are available on your date! You’ll probably be looking for vendors such as..
- hair and makeup
Shop for your wedding look!
- Some dresses (and suits) take a while to arrive and you want to ensure there is time to have alterations as needed!
Schedule your engagement session with your wedding photographer!!
- If you are working with me, you know I love to get your engagement session scheduled and done right away! This will give us time to get to know each other before your wedding!
Start designing your save the dates!
- After you book the engagement session, start planning what kind of save the dates that you want! This will be the first thing your guests receive and set your wedding vibe!
Of course, there’s so so so much more to do, but these are all great places to start!! Lucky for you I have plenty of blogs outlining all things wedding planning!! Check out “Timeline Tips and Tricks”, “Why You Should Hire a Wedding Planner”, or “What to Wear to Your Engagement Session”
Photos by Wedding and Elopement Photographer, Sydney Jai Photography